- Get Involved
- Animal Control
- Shelter Services
- About Us
Access to the Idaho Humane Society will be limited this weekend due to the Gowen Thunder 2017 air show, which is expected to draw thousands of people to Gowen Field both Saturday and Sunday. Here is what you need to know:
– The Idaho Humane Society’s shelter and clinic, located at 4775 Dorman St. in Boise, just down the road from Gowen Field, will still be open this weekend for walk-in veterinary appointments and for individuals looking for lost pets. Because the general public will not be allowed access to Dorman Street during the air show, there will be a flagger at the turn-off from Orchard Street. You will need to speak to that person and let them know that you require access to the Idaho Humane Society.
Anyone traveling to the Idaho Humane Society on Saturday or Sunday should take Interstate 84 to Exit 57, then take Gowen Road to Orchard, so that you can make a right-hand turn onto Dorman Street. Officers will patrol the Idaho Humane Society parking lot during the weekend to ensure that it is only used by shelter or clinic patrons.
The IHS Veterinary Medical Center is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the shelter is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday. There are events scheduled at Gowen Field from 8:30 a.m. to 4:3o p.m. both days. Traffic is expected to be particularly congested between 8 and 9 a.m. and after 3 p.m.
– Although the Veterinary Medical Center is still open to assist with emergencies, take into consideration that travel times will be much longer. If your pet needs immediate attention, consider other emergency clinics in the area:
– Please note that our hold period for stray dogs is 7 days before they are evaluated for adoption. We will hold non-feral cats through the weekend while we attempt to locate owners. You can submit an online lost report at https://idahohumanesociety.wufoo.com/forms/idaho-humane-society-lost-report if you are unable to access the shelter, though we still highly encourage a visit to our facility as soon as possible.
– If you are interested in looking at adoptable pets this weekend, visit our PetSmart Everyday Adoption Center at 130 N. Milwaukee St., by the Boise Towne Square Mall. The EAC will have dogs, cats and rabbits available for adoption. It is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday.
– If you adopt a cat on Friday that needs to stay for a spay or neuter surgery, you will be able to pick up your cat Monday between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.
IDAHO HUMANE SOCIETY PHONE NUMBERS
Animal Control: 208-343-3166
Shelter front desk: 208-342-3508
Veterinary Medical Center front desk: 208-342-3599